For a global bank we are looking for multiple backend developers for several location (Amsterdam, Bucharest, Warsaw, Katowice)
Senior Backend Engineer for developing data-driven products that create a 10x impact for our end-users. As a Backend Engineer, you will help develop the data-driven products that the analytics team builds. Within the team, we use agile, lean and design thinking methodologies to launch new initiatives within or outside of the bank.
You will work in a cross-functional team which takes end-to-end ownership and responsibility and contributes in an Agile way to the full lifecycle of an application, from user research and implementation to running it in production.
Your passion is to work with the latest and greatest technologies that make working with large amounts of data easy, you’re proactive in keeping yourself up to date and trying everything out. You also enjoy laying the architectural foundations for the things you’re working on while aligning the business problem with the right technology. You combine both thinking of the future and a hands-on, right now attitude. You can identify on which fronts a team can grow and will help them get there. You will work in a team with highly skilled people and enjoy a creative atmosphere in which trying things out is encouraged.
You already have extensive experience in Scala, OR you are in-depth familiar with other back-end programming languages like Java, Python or Golang and are interested in learning Scala as quickly as possible. Furthermore, you are also familiar with the Akka ecosystem and have experience using Akka Actors and Streams.
Your work environment
The analytics team is a team of 120 people that has the mission to make the department within the bank data-driven. We do this by combining UX research and engineering with data science to deliver high-value solutions and products for our organization. We work in a fun and creative environment, and we’re dedicated to bringing out the best in both each other and our projects. We have offices in Amsterdam (main office), London, Warsaw (currently building two new teams here), Katowice (Data platform team) and Romania (IT Risk).
Within the analytics team, we mainly use the following technologies and frameworks:
- Docker / Kubernetes / Openshift
- Apache Spark
- Apache Flink
- Apache Airflow
- Ceph (S3)
- Apache Cassandra
- Apache Avro
Do you recognize yourself in this profile:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Software Engineering / AI / Computer Science;
- Strong programming skills in Scala, Java, Python or Golang. Familiarity with the Scala ecosystem is a strong plus;
- You have a learning attitude. Not only to master new technologies and programming languages, but also on the interpersonal level. You are proven to be able to ask and give feedback;
- You feel at home in a high-performing team and you make the other team members feel at home as well. You have the independence to speak up when needed;
- Demonstrable experience producing reusable code components and libraries leveraged by multiple projects;
- Solid understanding of DevOps practices including Git, CI/CD, monitoring;
- Good understanding of test automation practices;
- Strong understanding of container-based platforms and tooling including Docker. Familiarity with Kubernetes and/or OpenShift is a strong plus;
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms and problem-solving skills;
- Fluent in written and spoken English (Dutch is not required);
- Passion to work with and contribute to open source technologies.
Nice to have:
- Being a committer to Open Source projects is a strong plus;
- Experience with building distributed, reactive applications
- Knowledge of machine learning (preferred experience with real implementations), or at least strong affinity with it;
- Good understanding of streaming technologies like Kafka and Flink;
- Good understanding of databases including RDBMS, non-SQL and time-series databases;
- Experience in building 0-downtime applications/components;
- Experience with working in an agile/scrum way, but at least you should have a strong willingness to do so;
What do we offer?
Working at the bank means working in a dynamic and international setting. Individual development of our employees is very important and that is why the bank offers excellent courses and programs. You will become a member of the analytics team, a prestigious, no-nonsense and high-output data-science & engineering team. Diva behaviour is not tolerated, neither is underperformance. You will work on the most innovative projects within the bank.